Saturday was Baxter’s first birthday. I’m so lucky to have had him in my life this past year. Even when the shizz was hitting the fan in the past couple of months, he was always there for me, ready to wiggle with happiness and lick my face until I smiled. Nobody ever tells you how much having a dog can change you. I figure it’s like a fraction of what motherhood does. This little dude just relies on me for everything he needs. Dave and I are the centers of his universe. Sure, it’s stressful and sometimes takes more work than we thought he would, but every single moment of it is worth the effort. I don’t even mind touching poop. Well, his poop. Not just poop in general. I like to think I’m selective about the fecal fondling I do from day to day.
Baxter as a newborn (on the right). His sister, Olive, is on the left and is now owned by my dear dear friend Lindsey.
My wonderful hubby didn’t know it was Baxter’s birthday so he planned an overnight trip with friends for that evening.
Baxter at 6 weeks old, still living with his lovely breeder, Yorkies of Walnut Hill
At first I was sad, but then I realized Baxter would much prefer to go to his summer camp (it’s basically daycare and a huge slumber party at night, but only for a few dogs at a time). They threw him a birthday party, and I…well…I baked cupcakes so he could be that cool kid at camp whose mom sends cake for everyone. I’m pretty sure he’s the most popular one now.
Baxter at the breeder's, during his first (eventually unsuccessful) attempt to get his ears to stand up...I love his floppers, though.
This recipe is totally dog- and human-friendly, though it doesn’t taste wonderful to humans. Sort of like a really bland bran muffin. It does contain dairy and wheat, though, which can be a prob for both bipeds and quadrupeds.
At 16 weeks, his first night home. I was so in love.
After his first haircut. We have since switched groomers.
The day after he got neutered, looking a little depressed
Takin a little nap-ski
Being held by his uncle next to sister Olive (middle, daughter of Lindsey) and betrothed Lucy (far right, daughter of Molly)
Sunday morning snuggles
I adapted the recipe from here. I highly recommend you take a look. She has a recipe for a banana cake as well as peanut butter and I couldn’t decide between the two, so I let Baxter choose. It was very scientific.
First, I put equal-sized chunks of peanut butter and banana on a tray. Then I set it down and let Baxter sniff.
His immediate choice was banana. But I just didn’t trust it. He’d been closer to the banana than the peanut butter, so I wanted to make sure he didn’t just choose based on proximity.
The second round, he chose the peanut butter without even THINKING about the banana. Hm.
So I went for round three. This was very interesting. He sniffed and sniffed the banana, then gobbled the peanut butter, then came back to the banana and chewed it up into a mush before spitting it out.
I decided he needed a peanut butter cake with a banana garnish, since clearly (like his mother) he only likes banana for one bite before it sorta grosses him out.
So, the recipe, loosely adapted from here:
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • 2 whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (I used Planter’s cocktail nuts, which probably weren’t the healthiest choice)
For the icing:
  • 1 brick of plain Philadelphia cream cheese (I don’t know how many ounces…eight?)
  • A goodly glurg of local honey, to help with allergies
  • A sprinkle of cinnamon (it helps if, while adding the cinnamon, you yell, “HEY [insert husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/roommate's name here]. I’M PUTTING A SPRAYNKLE OF CINNAMON INTO THIS ICING. A SPRAYYYNKLE.”)
This made a dozen cupcakes. Basically, soften the butter and margarine, then beat both together with peanut butter until it’s niiiice and creamy. Add the eggs and beat some more. In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients except for the chopped peanuts, then slowly mix them into the wet ingreeds. Last, stir in peanuts and divide evenly among 12 cupcake cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. When the little buggers are cool, mix together the icing and spread it on there. Garnish with a slice of banana.
Then, let the feasting begin.
If you’re lucky, your boy will smile at you:
Or maybe he’ll daintily lift a paw, similar to a British person sticking out a pinky while sipping a cup of tea.
So, happy birthday, my boy. You are so, so loved.